Saturday, December 5, 2009

Don't put your trust in money, but put your trust in God.

"Our human nature being what it is, however, very often we find the fact of Jesus Christ is not enough to help us maintain an attitude of thanksgiving." (Terry Muck)

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also....33 seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6)

God does not condemn the possession of material things. Nevertheless, God preserves some special blessings for the poor. We are not all commanded to be like Francis of Assisi who gave up literally everything, eschewing even the possession of a single book. In his first rule he says "The Friars are to appropriate nothing for themselves, neither a house, nor a place, nor anything else...they beg alms trustingly." But Jesus did command the rich young ruler to give up all his possessions and follow him. For some, material comfort becomes more important than following Jesus and living as a servant of God. So God may call you to give up this comfort. Or maybe you need to reorient your values and lifestyle so that your thoughts and actions prioritize reliance upon the Creator God and love for neighbor instead of selfishness and reliance upon wealth and created things.

Allow me to make this more concrete with some illustrations from the last couple of weeks. I sensed God was leading me to enroll in another Chinese course, not knowing at the time how I would pay for it. Thenceforth, I made plans to take this course and asked God to provide. I could not rely on my accumulated wealth; rather, I could only rely on God. A few days before the registration deadline, I received an unexpected deposit into my bank account. It turns out a girls school where I teach paid me three months of my salary after only one month of work. Thus, I received a great blessing and grew in my relationship with God because of my comparative poverty.

Now living as I have been is not always easy. Especially when the world, the old man within us, and even the church, base our worth on economic viability. Sure, people will treat me well enough in my current situation. Yet, if God called you to step out in faith, would you be willingly to give up your comfortable life? What if God called you to a new city, a new job, or a new way to serve God, would you be willing to trust God to handle the tomorrows that inevitably come? Now I am not counseling recklessness; rather, be open to the Spirit of God within your life so that if and when God calls you to something difficult, you do not favor your meager plans over God's magnificent designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment